Friday, October 9, 2009

Work-life balance - adding white space

I read an interesting article by a coach named Molly Gordon, in which she compares the act of incorporating balance in life to creating white space on a page.

I love this idea. Graphic designers insist on lots of white space to make the words or images stand out in a document. Nobody likes reading densely-worded paragraphs that aren't broken up by white space.

As an author of novels, I've been taught about the importance of breaking narrative up with dialogue, because 'readers like to see white space on the page'.

Do you have enough 'white space' in your life, or is everything crammed in? Does one sentence run into the next, and the next, without pausing for some punctuation?

This reminds me of the Year 3 journal-writing class I was helping with on Monday. The teacher made them stop periodically, read through what they had written and ensure that it made sense.

Today, I'm going to create some white space in the form of an hour for exercise, which is something I've let slip in recent weeks. Tomorrow, the white space will be a family dinner out. On Saturday, I'm going to a book fair just with my husband. Sunday is entirely 'white space' at the moment, which is a lovely thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment