Sunday, November 21, 2010

Say 'no' boldly

The first of the Christmas party invitations arrived this week and I said 'no'. When I dropped my daughter at her ballet rehearsal and asked if I could be a back-stage helper for the concert I said 'no'. Sales people and market researchers keep phoning (despite our 'do not call' registration) and I say 'no'.

I've got a good excuse, of course, with a newborn baby in the house, but I haven't been using it. I've just been saying 'no' firmly because I know I can't do everything, and finding it easy and empowering. People aren't batting an eyelid, even without knowledge of my reasons and it gets easier every time.

I've learnt that there's nearly always no need to explain yourself when you turn people down - just to be certain in your approach.

Start today

With the 'silly season' almost upon us, we have an opportunity to shape how we experience the last few weeks of this year.

Do you want to reach 2011 wrung out and gasping for oxygen, or relaxed and optimistic?

Decide now what you will and won't take on, what you'll accept, how much running around you'll do, and what corners you can cut and make a plan to enjoy the end of this year.

Say 'no' with no excuses and carve yourself some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment